Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Smell of Winter

I came from my Sister's house just now. Her and my Brother-in-law had put together yet another outstanding dinner! Today they served this particular season's traditional Norwegian sea-food, so fresh from the ocean that it was almost alive. They had hinted that after dinner it would be very welcome with a hand with some of the refurbishing they're doing. Having grown up in a family of many skilled crafts-men I've always enjoyed the pleasure of swinging a hammer. And so we did; and we were very happy with the results; both of the eating and the work.

The night was over so I wrapped up, said goodbye, strolled out and rounded the corner. A couple of deep breaths of the cold mid-winter air filled my lungs and it put a smile on my face. I've always loved the winter. Two breaths and I get this funny feeling: "what's up with my nose?" The answer came as quickly as the question. I wouldn't think twice while skiing, but after that warm house in the city... The hairs in my nostrils instantly froze to one bundle after breathing out warm air from my lungs. It feels funny at first. Way up North they can determine the temperature when it's really cold by spitting on the ground. If it freezes before it hits the ground it makes a particular sound. I can't do that yet.

Guess I've been out of the country for a few years already.

No comments: